- 1 Change Your Minecraft Username – 2018
- 2 About The Minecraft
- 3 Things you must know before changing your Minecraft username
- 4 Guide To Change Minecraft Username
- 5 How to migrate from Minecraft account to Mojang account
- 6 What benefits you will get through Mojang account
- 7 Most common issues related to migration from Minecraft account to Mojang account
- 8 Common problems while changing Minecraft Name/Username:
- 9 Troubleshooting
- 10 Things to remember while changing the Minecraft Username:
- 11 Conclusion
Change Your Minecraft Username – 2018
There could be a variety of reasons you want to change your Minecraft username. You may, just don’t like your username anymore or didn’t gave much thought while choosing the username. When you were just starting Minecraft and now after much consideration you think it’s not good and want to change it.
Or your username doesn’t suit your Minecraft character’s skin or you could be the one who just doesn’t stick with one username and want to change it often. Need for changing Minecraft username has been felt by Minecraft users for very long but unfortunately, there was not any feature previously to change Minecraft username.
Well, the good news is that Minecraft has finally introduced this much-awaited feature to change the username and it’s quite easy to use it.
Now, you do want to change your Minecraft username but still uncomfortable to use this new feature, or you want to have all the information you need before attempting to change your username, this detailed step by step guide is for you.
About The Minecraft
Minecraft is a sandbox video game made by Swedish developer Markus Persson and later collaborated with Mojang. The imaginative and building parts of Minecraft enable players to work with a wide range of 3D squares in a 3D procedurally produced world. Different exercises in the diversion incorporate investigation, asset assembling, making, and battle.
Things you must know before changing your Minecraft username
While it’s quite easy to change your username in Minecraft there are certain things you must know before attempting to change it:
- Your username must be between 3 to 16 characters long without any spaces between them. Both the uppercase and lowercase alphabets from A to Z and numbers from 0 to 9 are allowed. The only special character allowed is _ (underscore). Use any other special character and you will get the error message.
- This point is the most important one you should know. If you have changed your username, you cannot change it again before 30 days that is you have to wait for a period of 30 days before you can attempt to change your username again. So don’t be careless and choose any random username as you can change it only after 30 days. This also applies to the users who have created new accounts.
- Minecraft usernames are unique. You cannot take a username that is allotted to another user. Minecraft holds your username for a period of 37 days before it is available for another user to take it. So you have a window of 7 days after the initial period of 30 days to revert back to your old username in case you came to think that your old username was good enough.
- Account level features remain the same even after you change your username. So you cannot circumvent a sever ban by changing your username.
- Profile name and username are two very different things. So don’t get confused. Changing or updating your profile or creating a new one will not change your username.
Guide To Change Minecraft Username
This guide teach you how to change the name that your character uses in-game on the computer version of Minecraft. Unfortunately, you cannot change your username in Minecraft PE or console editions, as these versions use your Xbox Live or PlayStation gamertag instead.
- Understand the limitations. You cannot change your name if you created the account within the last 30 days, nor can you change your name more than once every 30 days. You also must change your name to a name that hasn’t been chosen by someone else at this point.
- Changing your in-game username does not change your Minecraft website profile name.
- Open the Mojang site. Go to https://www.mojang.com/ in your browser.
- Click ACCOUNT. This tab is in the upper-right side of the page.
- Click Log in. It’s in the upper-right side of the page.
- If you’re already logged in, skip this step and the next two steps.
- Enter your login information. Type your email address and password into the labeled fields on this page.
- Click Log in. It’s a green button near the bottom of the page.
- Find the “Profile Name” section. It is located near the middle of the page.
- Click Change. It’s a link to the right of your current username.
- Enter a new profile name. In the text field near the top of the page, type in the username that you want to use.
- Click Check availability. It’s a grey button to the right of the profile name text field. This will check your username to see if it’s already taken; if not, you’ll see a green “username is available” message appear.
- If the username is already taken, you’ll see a red “username is in use” message appear. If so, try a different username, or try spelling your selected username differently, and then click Check availability again.
- Enter your password. In the “Password” text field near the bottom of the page, type in the password that you use to log into your Minecraft account.
- Click Change name. It’s at the bottom of the page. Doing so will change your current username to your new username immediately; you should see this change reflected the next time that you log into Minecraft on your Windows or Mac computer.
- After a successful name change, you won’t be able to change your name for another 30 days.
- Your old username will be available for 37 days, meaning that you’ll have a week to change your new username back to your old one if you decide to do so.
Older Minecraft accounts need to be shifted over to Mojang before you can change the name. And you can do that for free. While it is free to change your name, you have to wait 30 days until your next name reset and the old name will become available 37 days after you switch to another.
Minecraft names are supposed to be unique, so you can’t select the one already in use by another player. In the earlier versions of Minecraft, it was possible for players to register a username before they buy the game.
How to migrate from Minecraft account to Mojang account
If you used to sign in using your username to your Minecraft account, you cannot use the feature of changing your username. First, you have to migrate your Minecraft account to Mojang account. Mojang accounts are newly introduced one-stop account for all Mojang games. To migrate your Minecraft account to Mojang account just visits account.Mojang.com/migrate and enter your Minecraft account email, username and password.
What benefits you will get through Mojang account
- First and foremost benefit you get is that Mojang account gives you the ability to change your username and also Minecraft email, for which this article is all about.
- Another benefit you get is that by migrating to Mojang account let you change your Minecraft skin at minecraft.net
You Might Also Like: How To Change Minecraft Skin
Migration from Minecraft to Mojang account failed.
- Well if you see an error message showing that your account migration failed you should first check that you have entered all your information correctly and you don’t have already migrated your account using the same email address.
- Another thing you must ensure is that you have entered the correct email which you have used to sign up for your Minecraft account.
- And lastly, if you are using an account which you have used for purchasing Mojang game or if you have created a blank Mojang account you first have to log in to your account then go to Mojang.com/migrate/import and then migrate your account.
You have forgotten the registered email address
If you are unable to recall which email address you used to register your account, follow the below mentioned steps to migrate your account:
- First, register a Mojang account with any of your current email address.
- Now just find your transaction id.
- Now you have to contact Mojang support and give them your newly registered email and transaction id and the support team will help you migrate your account.
You have multiple Minecraft account on a single email address
Back in the early days of Minecraft, it was possible to have many Minecraft accounts on a single email address. But not anymore. Now you can only have one copy of Mojang game per migrated account. So if you previously have multiple accounts linked to one single email address you have to choose which account to migrate as you can only have one account per email address. If you want another paid Minecraft account to migrate to Mojang you have to create another Mojang account with a different email address.
Common problems while changing Minecraft Name/Username:
Many personals got this issue of changing their Minecraft names only a couple of ordinarily. Be that as it may, it’s impractical to change your profile name directly after you have transformed it. On the off chance that you need to change the name once more, at that point you need to sit tight for a time of 30 days and simply after that you can transform it once more.
Another issue is that a great many people endeavor to change their name in the wake of making another record. However, the thing is, those individuals need to sit tight for 30 days as well. And after that there some who need their old name back; those players are required to have a window of 7 days, after their 30 days are finished. Along these lines, till 37 days are over nobody would have the capacity to assert your old name. The multi day window is the main ensured chance to recover your old name.
For the most part individuals get mistook for the way that Profile name and username are two unique things. In any case, these are two totally extraordinary things and ought not be entomb blended. A username is the one that is shown at the base right corner of your diversion launcher. Individuals having an old record, need to move the old to their Mojang account.
Getting the error message saying not authenticated with Minecraft.net while trying to log in to the server after changing username.
This happens sometimes and seems to be a bug or something. You can just log out of your account and log in again. This should certainly fix the problem
Q: Can I lose my progress after changing the username?
A: Definitely not! Changing username does not affect anything, only your name will be changed and all other things including your game progress will remain the same.
Q: How long it takes for the change in username to show up on my Mojang account?
A: Any changes to your username will show up immediately after you close the game and reopen it again. If you don’t see your username changed contact the Mojang support and they will resolve any problem your account is facing right away.
Q: I can’t get into the server after changing my username?
A: After changing your username open the game launcher and click on switch user. Log out of your account and then log in again, you should be able to get into servers without any problem
Note: Changing username doesn’t let you circumvent any server ban. So if you are banned from any server changing username will not help you get into that server.
Things to remember while changing the Minecraft Username:
- If you have recently changed your username, it’s a good idea to wait before changing it again. In a order to keep the users from changing their names frequently, Mojang enforces a mandatory 30 day waiting time between two name changes. This means that once you change your name, you’ll have to wait at again 30 days before you can do it. This wait time also happens when you create a new account. Which means that you can’t change your name if you have just made a new account.
- If you wish to have your old name back, you need to change it within 37 days. When you change your Minecraft username, as the other users can’t take your old name right away. Which means you still have to wait 30 days to change back to your old name. There is no instant way to do change the Minecraft account.
- Do not confuse changing the profile name with changing your username. In the Minecraft home window, there’s s an option at the bottom left corner, to edit your existing profile or create a new one. That said, none of the options will affect your in game username.
- If you log in with a username, migrate the account before changing your name. Before Minecraft switched to a shared account with all other Mojang games, it used its own account system. It required its users to log in with the username, rather than a email.
Changing Minecraft username is certainly quite easy but people do face many problems while changing their username. This could be due to lack of or incomplete information. We recommend that you should first read this whole article thoroughly so that you should be familiar with all the point you have to keep in mind while attempting to change your username. Follow this step by step guide and changing Minecraft username will seem to be a piece of cake.